Enforcing Out-of-State Child Support Orders in Atlanta, GA

As an expert in family law, I have encountered many cases involving child support in Atlanta, GA. One common issue that arises is when a parent who lives outside of Georgia fails to pay child support as ordered by the court. This can be a frustrating and confusing situation for the custodial parent, but there is a process in place for enforcing out-of-state child support orders in Atlanta.

The Importance of Child Support

Before diving into the process of enforcing out-of-state child support orders, it is important to understand the significance of child support. Child support is a court-ordered payment made by one parent to the other for the financial support of their child.

It is meant to cover expenses such as food, clothing, housing, and medical care. Child support is crucial for the well-being of children, especially those living in single-parent households. It helps ensure that they have access to basic necessities and can maintain a decent standard of living. Therefore, it is essential for non-custodial parents to fulfill their financial obligations towards their children.

Establishing Jurisdiction

The first step in enforcing an out-of-state child support order in Atlanta is to establish jurisdiction. Jurisdiction refers to the authority of a court to hear and decide a case.

In order for a Georgia court to enforce an out-of-state child support order, it must have jurisdiction over the non-custodial parent. In most cases, jurisdiction is established through personal jurisdiction. This means that the non-custodial parent has sufficient contacts with Georgia, such as owning property or conducting business in the state. However, if personal jurisdiction cannot be established, the custodial parent can file a petition for registration of the out-of-state child support order in Georgia.

Registering the Out-of-State Child Support Order

To register an out-of-state child support order in Georgia, the custodial parent must file a petition with the Superior Court in the county where the non-custodial parent resides. The petition must include a certified copy of the out-of-state child support order and a sworn statement from the custodial parent stating that the order is currently in effect and has not been modified. Once the petition is filed, the court will issue a summons to the non-custodial parent, informing them of the registration and their right to contest it.

If the non-custodial parent does not respond within 30 days, the out-of-state child support order will be registered and can be enforced in Georgia.

Enforcing the Out-of-State Child Support Order

Once the out-of-state child support order is registered in Georgia, the custodial parent can take steps to enforce it. This can include wage garnishment, bank account levies, and property liens. The Georgia Department of Human Services' Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) can also assist with enforcement by withholding income tax refunds or suspending driver's licenses and professional licenses. If the non-custodial parent still fails to pay child support, the custodial parent can file a contempt action with the court. This means that they are asking the court to hold the non-custodial parent in contempt for failing to comply with the child support order.

If found in contempt, the non-custodial parent may face fines, jail time, or both.

Modifying an Out-of-State Child Support Order

In some cases, it may be necessary to modify an out-of-state child support order. This can happen if there has been a significant change in circumstances, such as a job loss or increase in income. To modify an out-of-state child support order in Georgia, the custodial parent must file a petition with the court and provide evidence of the change in circumstances. It is important to note that the court will only modify the child support order if it is in the best interests of the child. The court will consider factors such as the child's needs, the non-custodial parent's ability to pay, and any other relevant factors.


Enforcing an out-of-state child support order in Atlanta, GA can be a complex and lengthy process.

It is important for custodial parents to understand their rights and options when it comes to enforcing child support orders. Seeking the assistance of a knowledgeable family law attorney can help ensure that the process goes smoothly and that the best interests of the child are protected.

Brad Delaremore
Brad Delaremore

Hardcore organizer. Passionate internet evangelist. Total travel scholar. Incurable internet trailblazer. Freelance social media nerd.

Leave Message

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *